All about Minimizing

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Surgery Day, in full

Alright, alright...here I am back and rested.  My surgery went really well!!  Peaches and I checked in at 12:30p on Monday spent one hour answering the same questions over and over for five different people:

  • Full name
  • Birthdate
  • Allergies
  • What would my surgery be for?
  • Have I ever had problems with anesthesia before?  (The answer to this one is yes, I tend to be very panicky and aggressive when waking up)
  • What was my Zodiac sign?  (Actually I was only asked this once, by the oh so deliciously hot recovery room nurse
I really liked that pretty much the entire team that would be in the room during the surgery or with me after in recovery came in and introduced themselves, it was comforting to know who I would see ahead of time.
Then I got my IV and got washed up.  Around 1:30pm they took me back to the OR, here we had a slight problem.  One of the doctors that would be operating on my was a Steelers fan and as a Ravens fan (they are huge rivals) I told them I was not ok with her being in the room.  Hehehe.  She told me to watch it or I would wake up with a Steelers tattoo on my forehead.  Next thing I knew the anesthesiologist told me he was giving me my sleepy drugs and a nurse asked me to squeeze her hand three times.  I don't even remember doing it once.

Then I woke up being restrained in the recovery room and the delish nurse from earlier was whispering sweet nothings in my ear....well not exactly sweet nothings.  He was talking me through breathing and calming down.  After a bit they were able to let go of my hands and this was when I told him I loved him and offered to pole dance for him.  When he turned me down I gave him a shot of vajayjay.  As far as I know he still did not take me up on this offer....probably a good thing.  Peaches might have been a smidge upset.

I was in a HUGE amount of pain during this whole time and it may or may not have been due to the 3 shots of Fentinol that I was making inappropriate overtures to random hotties!  When my blood oxygen level was up about 95% they moved me to the surgical floor.  Here I was allowed to be with Peaches again and M, my facilitator and nurse, and Dr. H came to visit me and tell me that everything went well and my liver looked great.

My pain was still pretty bad so Peaches and I decided that I should stay the night, rather than try to get comfortable at home.  So he went home to take care of the pups, have dinner and pick up my favorite pillow.  While he was gone I got up to walk for the first time and went to try and pee.  I had the sensation but it just wouldn't come out.  I even pushed a bit, but the nurse didn't want me to strain.  So she had me turn around and straddle the toilet backwards and I peed with no problems at all!  Weird!!

I hardly slept at all, narcotics make me drowsy but jazzed up at the same time.  So I drop off but 10-15 min then wake up and have to move.  I spent a lot of time that night just cruising the halls.  I also managed to get down 3 Profects (yuck, yuck, yuck) and 32 ounces of water.

Tuesday morning Dr. H and M both came to go over my discharge directions with me, they also let me know that my WBC count was looking good and they would not be starting a course of steroids (with my immune disorder this was a possibility).   Dr. H also let me know that I carry my fat like a man, in general men have a smaller amount of fat in between their skin and muscle layer and a lot around the organs themselves.  Women are opposite of this.  So she was able to give me a low profile port, but needed to give me the large band.  It has a total fill of 14cc and she started me with 4cc.  She said this would provide very little restriction, but it was instead there to snug the band around my stomach.  She debated whether or not to give me the standard band, but wanted to err on the side of large rather than too small.

Peaches took me home and got me settled, I had a cup of chicken stock and Chicken Unjury in it and got in another 40oz of water during the day.  I burp and fart like no tomorrow, but I have had almost no gas pain. My tummy is very swollen where they put in the port.

Ok, long, long post.  Pictures to come.  Thanks for hanging in there if you made it through!!

This is my sexy pre-op pose, I was going to use my pouty face cause the recovery room nurse to fall madly in love with me.  I would then let him down easily, letting him know that Peaches was the only man for me.

This is my oh so miserable post-op face.  Right before I begged Peaches and anyone else that would listen to just help me!  I was in so much pain, this is when we decided I should stay the night.

Incisions.  The third one over is the port, the little guy at the top hurts me most though.  This was yesterday evening.  Now I am very swollen and bruised.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! :) let the work begin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're actualy doing pretty well. It'll take a few days to feel much better but you'll get there. Lucky no gas pain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy all went well for you! The incision at the top was the one that bothered me the most too. It didn't really hurt, but once I had to put a bra back on it really irritated me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a champ you are doing way better than me when it comes to drinking the protein crap... I mean yummy shakes... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to banded world! :) Life is good!

    ReplyDelete