All about Minimizing

Thursday, April 26, 2012

A little non-band help request......

Soooo....all you ladies out there with kids, I need a little help.  Last fall a family with seven kids moved in next door to us, I personally don't want kids but I do love them.  However, we quickly ran into some problems with these neighbors.  They would pile all their leaves/snow in our driveway, they shot at my cat with a BB gun, they took a package off my porch (I have a super nosy neighbor across the street, she sees everything!!).  After the BB gun and package incidents I went over to talk to the mother, she basically told me to bug off.  Two days later the cops were at my door because someone reported us as hoarders and neglectful to our animals.  Thankfully the cops came in looked at the clean, uncluttered house, chubby, happy puppies and kitties with food, water, a cupboard full of treats, a box full of toys and realized there was no validity.  They apologized profusely and left, going immediately next door to talk to them.  I can only guess they were the ones that called.  After this incident things started to calm down. 

Now that the weather is getting warmer more problems have arisen.  First we started coming home to all these muddy dirty splotches on the side of the house that faces theirs, it seems the kids are crossing a 10 ft tall hedge row to throw mud pies at my house (nosy neighbor saw them do it).  Then they got a trampoline that they put in the side yard (again right next to my house) and they jump and scream on it all evening long.  Now when I say scream, I don't mean a little hoot or holler with glee.  I mean 45 second long ear splitting screams because one or the other is mad, screams so loud that my dog (who never ever ever barks) will start barking.  Yesterday they added a pool, again on the side closest my bedroom window.  This added another place for lots of fighting and SCREAMING!!!  I know from past experience that talking to the parents will not be helpful, but I really can't take the screaming all summer long.  I get up around 5:15-5:30am so I go to bed around 9:30-10:00pm.  They are sometimes out there screaming until 10-11, even on school nights.  My question is, am I just being a horrible person and this is normal kid behavior?  Should I just invest in earplugs and live with it?  I know when I was growing up my parents were big on respect and screaming for the sake of screaming would not have been tolerated, but maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy!!  Anyone with a magic recipe for getting kids to quiet down please send it to me!!   

5 comments:

  1. I am thinking a call to the police about neglecting kids sounds like it is in order. Keep our animals out of their paths too. If they already shoot at your cat once, they will do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There isn't much you can do. If the parents aren't bothered then they won't do anything about it and you can't do anything without their support. Being a crappy parent isn't illegal and the children aren't in danger so social services won't do much. Can you complain to their landlord or have they bought the house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think anyone who tries to abuse an animal is just down right evil. So sorry you are having to deal with that. I agree with Robyn, sounds like they neglect their kids if they let them do all that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't a request from people with kids...this is a request for people with devil spawn! These are terrible neighbors and no, this isn't normal kid behavior. I'd call the cops or CPS, especially since you have a witness. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If they are renters, hold the land lord accountable, but protect your animals. They will retaliate. They sound like trash (and I have a child, so I know what childish fun sounds like). Also, bake your nosey neighbor a cake...you never know when you will need her to testify to what she has seen. Since I am going through the process of becoming a foster parent, I can tell you that unless you suspect real abuse/neglect (children with NO food, shelter or clothing, or physical/sexual abuse), they will not do anything. Your answer is with the police. File a report. Prepare for escalation and install some cameras. You should not put up with property damage, pet abuse or excessive noise on a regular basis past 9pm. Good luck, this sucks, and I hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete