All about Minimizing

Monday, April 2, 2012

In just four short hours....

I will have my band in place!!!!!!!!!   OMG, this has been a long, long loooooog walk so far.  I went to my first appointment at the Weight Management Clinic on 06/06/11 and now almost 10 months later we are going to for reals get it on!!  I am super excited/anxious, there is likely going to be a staggering amount of '!' in this post...you have been warned.

This weekend went  by super fast, I spent most of it cleaning, laundering, cooking and organizing so I would actually be able to rest this week.  Peaches and I did a crap ton of spring cleaning - even the windows, and I HATE windows.  Like HATE, HATE!!  When I made the bed I even put my favorite flannel sheets back on, even though a couple weeks previously I had retired them for the spring/summer.  If I am going to spend a lot of time laying in bed this week I want it to be in flannel, with little snowmen!!!!

Oh, something that happened at my support group meeting and I wanted to know if anyone else had heard about it.  I live in a pretty small little city (I realize that is all relative, some people consider Billings to be HUGE) about 100,000 people and although we have two hospitals only one of them have a weight management program.  I'm setting this up so you know that everyone at this group has the same pre-op doc, surgeon and the same facilitating nurse.  Ok, so we were at group and M, our facilitator,  had a topic but after seeing the people there decided that letting us just talk would be better.  There was a good mix of pre and post op, as well as bypass, sleeve and band in the room.  I very rarely see a post-op band person but that night there was a woman there that had lost 101lbs with the band IN SIX MONTHS!!!  Then her band slipped and she had to have it removed.  Now I have read A LOT of stuff about banding and more than once I saw that it can be dangerous a great amount of weight at once.  There is a theory that the band can slip because the fat around the abdominal wall will disappear, giving wiggle room.  Has anyone ever heard of the theory before?  Or heard of someone that lost that much so quickly with the band?  Do they still have it?  Were there complications?  Did they gain it back?  When I was in my pre-op appointment with my surgeon she specifically said that I should look to lose 1-3lbs a week and NO MORE.  She even said she gets a little worried if it is coming off faster than that.  I told her that I did my research and I knew that I was not going to drop all of my weight at once, so I am ready for a year or even more to get where I want to be.

Well Ladies, I will sign off for now.  I am just too jazzed up to think and I don't know that you want to be a part of my anxiety attack!!  I just ask you for one thing before I go.  Peaches is up for a promotion at work and this morning he will be interviewing with the director of the dept he wants to move up in.  Please send some positive energy his way, in whatever way you feel comfortable.

Catch you on the flipside!!  I will leave you with a pic of the official countdown clock.

12 comments:

  1. Thinking of you today... Good luck with the surgery!

    As for the lady that had the slipped bad...I'm afraid I have no input on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping it's smooth sailing for you today! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I will be thinking about you!! You are probably already finished and on the Bandwagon with us while I write this... but being only 3 days post op right now I totally feel your pain and elation from here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will do great - can't wait to hear how it goes! As for the band slippage, I don't have any experience with that, but I know there is a percentage it happens to - not sure it has anything to do with how fast you lose the weight though. Just keep asking all the questions you need to until you feel comfortable! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending both you and your husband good vibes today!!! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you!! Update us when you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever since about 2008, Lap Bands are put in place using a technique called "fundoplication", where they take part of the stomach and bring it up and attach it to above the band. Google it for a pic or details.

    Whenever I hear of a slip, the first thing that I ask is: "When did you get your band?" Usually, (not always) it is before they were doing the fundoplications.

    To say that I did my research prior to surgery is a huge understatement. LOL

    Good luck tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck to you I can't wait to follow your posts thru thus process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Billings MT????, I am from Bozeman and was just banded 3/13 in Great Falls. Anyway, GOOD FOR YOU, and I hope it all went well. We can compare notes afterward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there really any other Billings? Well that counts anyway! :) Do you have a blog? I didn't see one in your profile?

      Delete
    2. No blog. I am kind of keeping my banding private. Most of the people I work with know and a few of my closest friends, but not really anyone else. I didn't know there was a doc doing banding in Billings. I might have chosen that, I thought GF was the closest. I wonder if I should switch to billings for fills. It sucks that noone in Bozeman will do the fills. THat I have found anyway.

      Delete
  10. Thinking of you darling!! Good luck and quick recovery! x

    ReplyDelete